Recently, Wearables have been getting a lot of attention with Google Glass and Android Wear-based smartwatches. Gartner has predicted that companies can save over $1 Billion in costs related to Field Service leveraging Wearables including Glass. We have done our own research talking to Exploration and Production companies as well as Oil Field Services. We have also brainstormed with Google on this. The use of Glass is ideal where hands-free use is needed, typically in a messy environment where workers may be wearing gloves. Here are some of our findings where Google Glass applications can be useful:
1. Collaboration with Remote experts: Workers in the Field can make video calls, and take pictures to get expert opinions thousands of miles away
2. Training: Glass can record video from the user’s perspective while activities/tasks are being performed. This video can then be used to train new workers.
3. Digital Checklists: Workers can get hands free checklist instructions on their Glass that can enhance compliance.
4. Data Overlay: Workers in Exploration can get reservoir/geospatial data overlay on Glass to help them appraise the Field better
5. ERP Remote Data access: Workers can get data from their SAP and Oracle systems and perform transactions like Goods Movement and Inventory Check.
The Use Cases of Glass are emerging and will be defined over the next year as companies launch pilot projects. Unvired is working with several early adopter customers to usher in the era of Wearable Computing.