The Unvired Mobile Platform (UMP) 3.2 includes a number of innovations that enable faster digitization and mobility. Whether your company wants to mobilize enterprise backends like SAP or databases or legacy systems, UMP has made that easy, fast and cost effective with a plethora of adapters that enable out of the box integrations. UMP 3.2 now includes a powerful REST API that allows you to leverage the same functionality to also develop web apps. So whether you want to go digital via web or mobile or both, UMP is your platform of choice.
In a series of blog posts starting today I will explore the new features and the transformations in the platform. This post will focus on the high level features and some under the hood changes that have been made to UMP to make it faster and better.
Features of note in UMP 3.2:
- Single infrastructure that runs within your datacenter or on cloud IAAS like Amazon Web Services (AWS). Absolutely identical, even the binaries are the same! This gives you enormous flexibility to go on premise and switch to cloud later or vice versa
- Fully load balanced, High Availability setup supported both within your datacenter and on cloud infrastructures
- Improved performance and scalability (see under the hood section below for more details)
- Enhanced REST API to easily build applications for web and mobile, supports both XML and JSON
- New enterprise adapters for OData and SAP HANA. SharePoint, REST and all other adapters have been further enhanced
- Enhanced push notifications for APNS and GCM (including follow up actions), support for browser push to notify web applications
- Error console to help administrators process data errors, backend submission errors etc. Your users will never need to see errors any more, just save and forget!
- Conflict management on submission, handle concurrent submissions, and multi-channel updates without breaking a sweat
- Enterprise App Store to distribute your enterprise applications, applications can also auto update without admin intervention
- A brand new dashboard that helps administrators know the pulse of the mobile deployments
- Isolate your deployments and administration control for subsidiaries, locations, departments with a single central instance
- Transport configurations and code across Development, Quality and Production landscapes of UMP. No more manual administration tasks
- Time zone (user or company) based distributed scheduler to periodically refresh mobile data, no need to run battery hogging threads on devices checking for updates
- And …
Under the hood: UMP 3.2 core has undergone significant reengineering. The new UMP is now based on Spring backed by Level 2 distributed caching of data. This allows lightning fast reads and writes. UMP uses async servlets for maximum scalability with configurable thread pools to optimize resource needs based on your individual needs.
UMP supports deployment on any enterprise operating system such as Unix, Linux, Windows etc. with a MySQL, Oracle or MS SQL Server backend. For test and demo purpose,UMP can also be run with a H2 embedded database.
The UI has been spruced up with keyboard shortcuts to simplify administration and management. For those Unix/Linux administrators who love the command line, a command window allows you to quickly enter commands. The new UMP runs on JBoss 7.2 EAP and open source editions and deploys in seconds. UMP is also certified by SAP for NetWeaver deployment and is deployable on SAP NetWeaver 7.x all the way up to 7.4.
UMP 3.2 is also supported on Docker containers and the official images will be available on the Docker Hub shortly.
Related tools: A brand new Unvired Modeler works hand in glove with the UMP infrastructure to enable development of applications easily. The modeler is installed as an Eclipse plugin with auto discovery of UMP development landscapes. Model, Design, Develop, Debug and Deploy from a single place.
There is much more to talk about the new UMP. Watch this space for a series of blog posts that will expand on each of the features and how exactly you can benefit from it.