As SAP customers hail from various industries and have unique requirements, they have developed custom objects ((Code/Objects/APIs) in addition to using standard programs over the years. When these companies decide to migrate to S/4HANA, custom objects might stop working.
To avoid this, SAP created the KEEP THE CORE CLEAN approach, which requires customers to follow guidelines and rules before migrating to S/4HANA and for any customizations. After migrating to S/4HANA, SAP defines specific ways for users who want to customize.
To keep the core clean, SAP BTP allows the customer to do all of their customization on the ABAP Cloud, allowing users to develop custom code outside S/4HANA while keeping the S/4 system as standard as possible. As most custom objects will be on SAP BTP, this facilitates seamless updates and patch releases without breaking anything. Side-by-side extension in BTP is possible using two different ways: RAP (Restful ABAP programming) is for ABAPers who use the ABAP Cloud, while (Cloud Application Programming) is for other non-SAP programmers who use Business Application Studio (BAS).
What is ABAP Cloud?
ABAP Cloud is Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) that offers SAP BTP ABAP environment (Embedded Steampunk); users can build and run ABAP-based cloud apps on SAP BTP. It enables developers to create and deploy cloud-native applications, services, and extensions on SAP S/4HANA and BTP systems. With its modern development environment and streamlined process, ABAP Cloud offers a more cost-effective alternative to traditional on-premise ABAP development.
Why Keep the Core Clean?
1. Make your Business Future-proof: A clean core system allows organizations to take advantage of new features and capabilities that SAP releases, keeping the system up-to-date with the latest technology advancements. It ensures that the system remains relevant and competitive in the future. It also means that your organization can readily move to the cloud when needed.
2. Fasten Deployment and Smoothen Upgrades: With a clean core, implement upgrades and security patches quickly and smoothly, as customizations do not interfere with the core system. Thus, resulting in less downtime and reduced risk during upgrade processes.
3. Innovate at Market Speed: A clean core system enables organizations to adopt new processes and technologies quickly, giving them a competitive advantage in their market. This agility allows them to respond to market changes and customer needs more quickly and efficiently.
The Key Benefits of Keeping the Core Clean are:
- Reduce time and cost for business users and developers by automating and avoiding manual upgrades.
- Easily absorb innovations, adapt faster to meet business requirements, and be more efficient.
- Follow a planned approach to achieve tangible outcomes.
How to Keep the Core Clean?
To keep the core clean, SAP has provided guidelines and rules before migrating to S/4HANA. SAP Advisory and Execution Management Services will assist you in shifting to S/4 HANA by analyzing the custom code first and then moving it into SAP BTP to determine any dependencies. Here the custom code management creates reference clusters with ABAP to analyze and understand data usage. Finally, SAP Analytics Cloud generates a report to help you decide which code to use:
- Redesign: Modify existing custom objects to comply with S/4 HANA and meet new requirements.
- Retire: Remove code that is no longer in use before migration.
- Replace: Replace custom objects with the most recent standard new solutions.
Post-migration to S/4 HANA, SAP defines specific ways for users who want to customize. Like, In-app extensibility customization and Side-by-side extension with the help of SAP BTP. Side-by-side extension in BTP is possible in two different ways:
- RAP(Restful ABAP programming): It is for ABAPers.
- CAP(Cloud Application programming): This is for non-SAP programmers who use
BAS(Business Application Studio) to develop.
To conclude, Keeping the core clean is essential for organizations that use SAP systems. It eliminates the need for extensive customizations, ensures a smooth transition to new technologies, and helps control IT budgets and reduce technical debt. It also helps in staying up-to-date and competitive in the market.
- Maintaining a clean core is an ongoing process that requires continuous analysis, evaluation, and management for organizations to improve and evolve.
- Embrace innovative technologies such as SAP BTP, SAP Fiori, and low-code development to drive digital transformation.
- Leverage cross-application and cross-technology capabilities to streamline processes and improve efficiency across the enterprise.